Elati is located in the southern part of the Pindos mountain range at an altitude of 930 meters on Mount Kerketio or Koziakas, as it is better known. It was a holiday village before 1940, an ideal destination for pre-war Trikala vacationers, who sought refuge in the cool embrace of Koziakas.
Until 1955 the village was called Tyrna, and this name is still heard today by the locals. It is built amphitheatrically and is surrounded by a fir forest. The location of Elati today is relatively new, as the old village was further west, close to the river and at a lower altitude, but after 1943, when it was burned by the Germans, it began to be moved and built to its current location.
Elati is today one of the largest and most beautiful mountain villages of Trikala, but also of Thessaly and its name is not accidental, since it literally drowns in the fir trees, creating the image of a beautiful painting. It is highly developed tourist both in the field of accommodation and entertainment and covers almost all the requirements of the visitor.
Thanks to its privileged position, Elati has become a popular tourist destination for all seasons, since in winter it offers plenty of snow in the rest, ie Spring, Summer and Autumn, direct contact with the wonderful nature and good and healthy climate. The options offered to visitors are many and satisfy all tastes, as it is the ideal place for excursions in the surrounding area of Pindos.
Tradition - History
It is said that from the slopes of Koziakas, the famous doctor of antiquity, Asclepius, collected the various herbs, ingredients of his medicines. Even today, of course, if you take a walk on the neighboring mountain slopes, you will find many herbs that the locals collect and use either for their own use or to sell them.
The area seems to have been inhabited since antiquity, according to tradition, but also the various finds, such as traces of an ancient castle and old settlement found at the sites of Katofli, Psili Rachi, and Fteri located on the southeast side of the village, towards the village. Monks, since they are believed to belong to the ancient city of Poitnaio, or Potnaio that flourished from the 5th BC. century to Roman times. In this area of Poitnaio was found a relief tombstone of Echenikos warrior of the 4th BC. century, as well as statuettes, vases, coins and two tombs.
In the Turkish census of 1454-1455 it is mentioned among the timars of Trikala slaughterers as Tirna. In 1660, Tyrna is mentioned among the Christian settlements in the area. In 1777, Kosmas the Aetolian taught in Tyrna, and to inhabitants of the surrounding settlements. In July 1821 it was burned along with the nearby settlements by the Turkalvans, who had defeated Nikolos Stornaris.
In 1858 L. Heuzey characterized the settlement as a large Greek village, with a large new church and school and in 1881 it had 522 inhabitants and has always been considered a village. In 1944, the Pedagogical Tutoring Center of Tyrna operated for four months, with Roza Imbrioti as its director.
Arched bridge of Porta or Ag. Βισσαρίωνα. It is located after the Gate on the road to Elati. It was built in 1514 by the metropolitan of Larissa, Bissarion, and is the second largest single-arched stone bridge in Thessaly with a length of 67 m.
Holy Monastery of Agios Vissarion or Dousikou. It is located on the east side of Koziakas at an altitude of 650m. It was founded by Ag. Bissarion in 1527-1535 and its architecture is of the Athonite type.
Holy Monastery of Porta Panagia. It is located in the old settlement of Porta Panagia, very close to the Gate. It was founded in 1283 by the Emperor John Angelos Komnenos Doukas and was built with materials from an ancient temple of Artemis.
Holy Monastery of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross of Doliana It was built in 1770 and destroyed in 1943, except for the katholikon, which is a unique example of peculiar architecture in Greece.
Double waterfall of Paleokarya, The murmur of the river Paleokaritis and the songs of the birds is the background in the shocking landscape.
Meteora, a place world famous for its unique landscape, for the steep cliffs and the hermitages or monasteries that are built on top of them like nests, what many call the castles of Orthodoxy.