Elati is located in the southern part of the Pindus mountain range, 930 meters above sea level, on Mount Kerketios or Koziakas, as it is best known. It was a holiday village before 1940, an ideal destination for the pre-war Trikalnian holidaymakers seeking shelter in the cool Koziakas hug.
Until 1955 the village was called Tyrna, and this name is heard until today by the locals. It is built amphitheatrically and is surrounded by a fir forest. Elati's current location is relatively new, since the old village was further west, close to the river and lower altitude, but after 1943 it was burned by the Germans, it began to be transported and built in today's position.
Elati is today one of the largest and most beautiful mountain villages of Trikala and Thessaly and its name is not accidental, since it is literally drowned in the firs, creating the image of a beautiful painting. It is a highly developed tourist both in the area of accommodation and entertainment and it covers almost all the requirements of the visitor.
Thanks to its privileged location, Elati has become a popular tourist destination for all seasons, since winter offers plenty of snow and in the rest, ie Spring Summer and Autumn, direct contact with the wonderful nature and good and healthy climate. The options offered to the visitors are many and satisfy all the tastes, since it is the ideal place for excursions in the area of Pindos.
Tradition - History
They say that from the slopes of Koziakas the famous doctor of antiquity Asklepios, he was collecting the various herbs, ingredients of his medicines. Even today, of course, if you take a stroll on its neighboring mountain slopes, you will find many herbs that the locals gather and use either for their own use or to sell them.
The area seems to have been inhabited since antiquity, according to tradition, as well as the various finds, such as the traces of an ancient castle and old settlement found at the locations of Katofli, Psili Rahi and Fteri located on the southeastern side of the village, towards the village Kalogiroi, believing that they belong to the ancient city of Pithnaio, or Potenia that flourished from the 5th century BC. century to the Roman period. In this area of Pitneo was found a relief tombstone of the Echenian warrior of the 4th century BC. century, as well as statuettes, vase coins and two tombs.
In the Turkish census of 1454-1455, it is reported among the titles of the treacherous spells as Tirna. In 1660, Tyrnna is mentioned among the Christian settlements of the region. In 1777, Kosmas Aetolos taught in Tyrna, and residents of nearby settlements. In July 1821 he was burned together with the nearby settlements by the Turk-Albanians, who had defeated Nicolas Stornaris.
In 1858, L. Heuzey described the settlement as a large Greek village with a large new church and school, and in 1881 had 522 inhabitants and is considered to be always a village. In 1944, the Pedagogical Faculty of Tyrnas operated with Rosa Imbriotis for a four-month period.
Sights of the Area
Arched bridge of Pyli or Ag. Bessarion. It is located after Pyli on the way to Elati. It was built in 1514 by the metropolitan of Larissa Vessarion and is the second largest stone-built stone bridge of Thessaly with a length of 67 m.
Holy Monastery of Agios Vissarion or Dousiko. It is located on the eastern side of Koziaka at an altitude of 650m. It was founded by Saint Bessarion in 1527-1535 and its architecture is of the Athonite type.
Holy Monastery of Porta Panagia. It is located in the old settlement of Porta Panagia, very close to Pyli village. It was founded in 1283 by Emperor Ioannis Aggelos Komninos Doukas and was built with materials coming from an ancient temple of Artemis.
Holy Monastery of the Timios Stavros Dolianon. It was built in 1770 and was destroyed in 1943, except for the katholikon, which is a unique example of peculiar architecture in Greece.
Double waterfall of Paleokarya, The murmur of the Paleokaritos river and the birds' mouths are the backdrop in the shocking landscape.
Meteora, a place world known for its unique landscape, for the towering towering rocks and the skeletons or the monasteries that are built on their tops like goldfalls, what many call castles of Orthodoxy.